Monday, April 18

Basil

I’m learning a few new things about my favorite herb, basil! It great to make pesto out of, put in pizza and spaghetti sauce or add some variety to a sandwich and salads.
I planted a lemon basil plant this past weekend, apparently a little early for my growing region.  When I checked on it yesterday it leaves were wilted. It now needs some TLC so I did a little research. Basil should be planted outdoors late spring or early summer, or started indoors 4 to 6 weeks earlier. It can also be an indoor plant if placed near enough sun light and is kept warm. When the plant begins to bloom, you can pinch off the branch tips, and flowers to encourage more growth. My garden manual, The Edible Garden, suggests basil lemonades that sounds great!(p.112)
In a 2 qt pitcher smash up 1/2c fresh basil and 3 tbsp of sugar
Add 4c of water and 1/2c fresh squeezed lemon juice and pour through a strainer
Chill and serve, stays good up to 1 day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dearest Husband and I

Dearest Husband and I
an exciting begining for both of us!