Tuesday, May 24

Resume Reflections

P.S. (“pre-script”) You know what is awkward? Being excited about the Maverick’s win last night, sitting next to a Thunder fan who is not nearly as excited.

So this morning I ran and dropped off my resume at the dentist office hoping to get a part time job so that I can continue to quilt and craft on the side. (I have not yet made my millions from this blog) Not wanting to put all my hope into one job I also ventured into OSU’s employment listings and found two full time opportunities available. After sitting here for 3 hours copy and pasting, rewriting, and changing formats I have successfully applied for both openings!

My biggest challenge: attempting to make a restaurant server job sound like you made a difference in the world. This is what I came up with…………. and then laughed.
·         In a fast paced environment, anticipate customer concerns and assimilate information up to 150 guests per evening
·         Maintained safe and hygienic work environment through yearly Food Handlers Certification  
·         Extensive development of guest relations by communications between guests, staff and management, often employing conflict resolution skills nightly
·         Focused on unique guest experiences to sustain a positive attitude while ensuring multiple management objectives are simultaneously exceeded
·         Financial Transactions in excess of $1,500 per evening

I was sure to leave out the nights I went home and cried, the days that I hated the world be because of this job, and of course the fact that I did not make one bit of difference. I remember one of the early days of this job being told by management “You’re expendable”. The sad part is that it was totally true. I trained new servers in attempt to be more efficient, have complete knowledge of the menu and way the restaurant works. It never made a difference, when I left it just kept going the way it had before. I don’t think it ever occurred to me that some people worked there just to pass time in life, not to make a difference or to better anything. They were just treading water and happy staying afloat. I hope that as I am seeking to start my career I don’t ever reach this point. I always want to be making a difference. When I am gone, I want something to prove I was here.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, sister! I'm happy to be a part of your life and witness you do anything but just "tread water"! You're amazing! <3

    ReplyDelete

Dearest Husband and I

Dearest Husband and I
an exciting begining for both of us!